WCAG 2.0 Comment Submission

From: WCAG 2.0 Comment Form <nobody@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 00:30:18 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-comments-wcag20@w3.org

Name: Roger Hudson
Email: rhudson@usability.com.au
Affiliation:
Document: W2
Item Number: Success Criterion 2.4.4
Part of Item:
Comment Type: GE
Although the wording of SC 2.4.4 is convoluted, it is presumably a replacement for WCAG 1.0, Checkpoint 13.1 \"Clearly identify the target of each link [Priority 2]\". However 13.1 also required the link text to meaningful enough to make sense when read out of context, either on their own or as a sequence of links, and this does not appear to be the case with SC 2.4.4.

In my experience, many screen reader users extensively use the screen-reader facility that enables them to obtain a list of links on a page. This is often the preferred technique when looking for information on a site or undertaking a task, and in virtually all situations it is only effective when the link text indicates the link destination. While I believe it is possible with some screen readers to select an option that provides context from the surrounding text I have never seen this done. However, many times I have seen screen reader users become frustrated with links that contain only the words \"more\", \"next\" or \"click here\".

I believe it is very important for link text to provide a clear indication of the link destination. Also, the link text should make sense without the need to rely on surrounding contextual information or a title attribute within the link element.

Proposed Change:
I believe 2.4.4 should remain a level 2 SC, but should be rewritten to read, \"The target or destination of each link should be clearly indicated by the link text.\"