From: Lars Borg <borg@adobe.com>
Date: Wednesday, 22 December 2021 at 21:08
To: Simon Thompson - NM <Simon.Thompson2@bbc.co.uk>, public-colorweb@w3.org <public-colorweb@w3.org>
Subject: Re: sRGB Connection Space - Slides and Comments
Hello Simon,

#2. AFAIK, OSs do not compensate for sRGB display brightness.
At least on MacOS, the same gamma is used at 80 and 500 nits (or 48 and 250 nits). Confirmed with gamma test patterns on both internal and external displays.
And the display profile is the same regardless of the brightness setting.
That seems to align with common use of sRGB content. Just throw the pixels onto the sRGB display, unconverted.

Can the group provide info on which OSs actually compensate for display brightness? Maybe it happens on cell phones??

Lars