From: Joe Drago <jdrago@netflix.com>
Date: Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 5:29 PM
To: Lars Borg <borg@adobe.com>
Cc: Mike Smith <miksmith@attglobal.net>, Simon Thompson <Simon.Thompson2@bbc.co.uk>, "public-colorweb@w3.org" <public-colorweb@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Tone Mapping Mentioned in Monday's Meeting

Thanks for that explanation of the "unspoken tension"; it was a great read! I have noticed a similar disconnect, although I think what I've seen is with another group. Perhaps I'll define a (c).

Your explanation of the group of content creators (a) is spot on. The phrase I've heard from multiple companies (including my own) is "HDR is just a container" (or "look"), meaning that it is something we can store our creative intent into, not any kind of hard requirement on how dynamic the content contained must actually be. If someone wants to film a purposefully drab / partially-desaturated piece of content because it helps them tell the story, so be it. In their minds, HDR provides them a means to re-create that precisely drab experience in the home-theater-enthusiast enduser's home. They appreciate the potential accuracy this provides.

My run-in with (b) is more from an enduser's perspective, when wrangling picture modes on TVs while implementing HDR output in our clients, and doing side-by-side tests with unsuspecting coworkers. More on that in a minute.

I'd like to categorize a group (c) as "the consumer", and how we sell HDR to them. For those in this mailing list that haven't tried this yet, ask someone in your life that doesn't work with HDR daily but is otherwise techy, and ask them to explain what having HDR buys you. You will get a range of replies, and I'll bet you very little (if any) of the replies you'll get will be what Group (a) considers it to be. In fact, our side-by-side tests fly directly in the face of that. You can ask someone "if you could pick between seeing exactly what the cinematographer intended or a modified/enhanced version from your TV's hardware", many people will say "I'd love to see the original". However, if you put them in a room with two identical high-end TVs, and one is configured for accuracy (Cinema Mode, etc) and the other one is oversaturated and overbright (Vivid Mode, etc), they almost always pick the vivid TV as the "better" one. They might even say "oh this one is clearly HDR, and this one probably has it off."

This perception from group (c) is at odds with group (a), unfortunately. If some content happens to look near-identical when HDR is disabled due to not really leveraging the ranges HDR provides, it technically isn't incorrect to still mark it HDR in your content browser, as long as it was authored into an HDR container, retains creative intent, etc. However, if the consumer watches a handful of titles marked as HDR, then purposefully disables HDR and the content doesn't appear to change, what then? Will they feel ripped off, or is it simply a question of consumer education?

I think the product folks from group (b) exacerbate this, knowingly. TV manufacturers know that they're going to have their flagship TV adjacent to their competitors' TVs at Best Buy, and they know that most consumers won't research HDR before coming into the store, and will just look for "vibrant" or "bright". Unfortunately, it is in the TV maker's financial interests to boost the incoming signal so that people will pick their TV, so it is tough to blame them for this strategy. All of these things fly in the face of "creative intent" / "HDR is just a container".

The reality of all of this is most endusers will never see what the cinematographer saw, period. For every home theater that went out of its way to balance the lighting and sound and buy the best TV they could, there are thousands of people buying the $300 "HDR" TV that was on sale, configured in Standard or Vivid Mode, and put it in a living room with a sliding glass door or large window, and they are trying to watch your HDR content during the brightest part of the afternoon. Even the most brilliant tonemapping operators we could standardize on can't make something that was graded on a Dolby Pulsar look remotely similar to a TV that is struggling to hit 100% of BT709 @ 150 nits.

Crushing these larger color volumes into the comparatively tiny ones that modern displays offer is going to be half science and half art. I'd love for group (a) to realize that labeling things "HDR" creates expectations for group (c), and betraying that might lose us customers. I'd love group (b) to care more about accuracy and perhaps not try to sell a TV as HDR if it can't hit some reasonable minimum bar of excellence. I'd love group (c) to realize what HDR really means to these other two groups, and use that to make informed decisions about how to configure the hardware they bought, and perhaps when to draw the blinds in their living room. Unfortunately, these are all unlikely to change for us in the near future, and we're just going to have to decide for ourselves. Someone is going to take our carefully crafted tonemapping operator standardized output and watch it in Vivid Mode anyway. [grin]