From: Simon Thompson-NM <Simon.Thompson2@bbc.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 8:03 AM
To: Seeger, Chris (NBCUniversal) <Chris.Seeger@nbcuni.com>; Jim Helman <jhelman@movielabs.com>; Lars Borg <borg@a1830.dscd.akamai.net>; Christopher Cameron <ccameron@google.com>; public-colorweb@w3.org <public-colorweb@w3.org>; Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <pal@sandflow.com>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Proposal for HTMLCanvasElement HDR compositing modes

Hi

Two of the three solutions in the document under discussion are scene-referred:

  1.  ITU-R BT.2100 scene-referred linear floating point signal (Table 10) and
  2.  ITU-R BT.2100 hybrid log-gamma (Table 5)

The definitions of compositing levels for these two systems are based on %age signal level of these scene-referred signals and not the luminance output of an unknown display that the system is connected to.

If we're going to exclude scene-referred video systems then that will also exclude ITU-R BT.709, which is most definitely scene-referred.  Even the reference EOTF for SDR TV, specified 21 years later in ITU-R BT.1886, does not specify a nominal peak luminance (Lw) for the display.  It is often thought that BT.1886 specifies a nominal peak luminance of 100 cd/m^2 for an SDR display, however, this is only in an informative annex as an example that could be used to emulate a CRT display.  For television reference monitors, the EBU specified a range of luminances dependent on usage and viewing environment.  SDR TV is therefore clearly a scene-referred system.

Furthermore, even though the sRGB specification mentions 80cd/m^2, most modern computers do not use this nominal peak luminance as it's too dim for most viewing environments.

Best Regards

Simon

--

Simon Thompson MEng CEng MIET
Senior R&D Engineer

BBC Research and Development South Laboratory