Re: Pre-meeting Thoughts on HDR Canvas

I would say that pretty much every content authoring tool – be it graphics (Photoshop, Inkscape, Scribus) or documents (MSOffice, GDocs, PDF, etc.) uses gamma/non-linear blending – though also in SDR.  To change that in the web space (at least for SDR content) would also require a change of all of those authoring tools or users won’t be able to author content that matches.

I do agree, however, that in the context on HDR content it may well make sense to consider alternatives since the authoring isn’t there yet…. Provided that we fully describe a mixed SDR/HDR stack and how compositing would work in such a scenario – especially when multiple colorspaces are also involved…

Leonard

From: Lars Borg <borg@adobe.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 2:23 PM
To: Justin Novosad <junov@google.com>, "chris@w3.org" <chris@w3.org>
Cc: "public-colorweb@w3.org" <public-colorweb@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Pre-meeting Thoughts on HDR Canvas

It is easy to assume that blending in gamma space is always undesirable.
History tells a different story. Blending in non-linear space is common.
For example, in Photoshop you can select to blend in linear or non-linear space.
It’s a creative choice. It seems most users select the non-linear option.
AFAIK video fades are typically in code space, not linear space.
So it seems we should retain this option.

Lars