From: Joe Drago <jdrago@netflix.com>
Sent: 05 March 2019 15:59
To: Craig Revie <Craig.Revie@ffei.co.uk>
Cc: Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>; public-colorweb@w3.org
Subject: Re: High Dynamic Range imaging and ICC colour management

It depends on your goals, and who your "masters" are.

Top-of-head, I see a handful of possibilities for these luminance values:

* None specified at all. In this case, we implicitly consider peak white == diffuse white == our global diffuse white. This is how we treat all SDR content currently.

* Only peak white specified. This is when your master is "creative intent", and if the author of the image wants the white in that image to be really drab or really fierce, "I said what I said", and you must honor it. In this case, diffuse white be damned, try your best to honor the exact luminance offered in the file.

* Both diffuse and peak white are implicit in the transfer function (such as HLG). This buys you the scene-referred environment I believe you're hinting at.

* A diffuse white and either a unorm scale factor or "value of diffuse white" (between [0-1]) are provided (which is different than offering peak white). The latter would be a way to simulate overranging, as all of the file formats Netflix uses are internally unorm. Either way, diffuse white becomes the master here.

Perhaps to your point, the value of diffuse white should be consistent, and it is really only known at runtime. For example, MS Windows offers a slider which lets you pick how bright diffuse white is in their display settings. That said, if the image author wants authoritative control over how their pixels are rendered (diffuse white be damned) and wants to preserve perfect creative intent, the only value necessary is what their image's range of unorm values represent in luminance (peak white). On the other hand, if the author wants to guarantee that their diffuse whites look correct and are comfortable with *all other pixel values in their image* changing in luminance when someone manipulates diffuse white's value (such as an enduser tweaking that slider), that can be offered as well. This type of metadata would make sense (say) for sprite atlases full of UI affordances.

Right now, Netflix's pipeline and engines support the first two bullets, and I could imagine us wanting at least one of the other two for specific UI reasons, but right now the UI is happy with bullet #1 for those types, and the creatives are happy with #2 because they can dial in exactly whatever pixels they want.

As a final aside, one other possible abuse for the lumi tag would be to instead leverage the X and Z values (which are required in the spec to be 0) instead, and legislate one of the above bulleted scenarios (amongst others I haven't thought of) depending on which are nonzero. This might be a safer way to maintain backwards compatibility.