FW: Accessible authentication Updates

Hello,

The list in the forwarded email (below my signature) are proposed changes to the Accessible Authenticaion SC. They are mostly editorial but I am sending to COGA to make sure there are no concerns. Please review this today or tomorrow and write back to this list and Alastair if you have concerns.

I am summarizing the first three changes (2, 3, and New Issue 2) together directly below indicated in bold green to make review easier. Hopefully Alastair will correct this if I’ve misrepresented anything.
Current 3.3.7 Accessible Authentication

For each step in an authentication process that relies on a cognitive function test<https://w3c.github.io/wcag/guidelines/22/#dfn-cognitive-function-test>, at least one other authentication method is available that does not rely on a cognitive function test, or a mechanism is available to assist the user in completing the cognitive function test.

Exception: When the cognitive function test is to recognize objects, or content the user provided to the website.
Note: Objects and content for the exception may be represented by images, text, video, or audio.

Note: Examples of mechanisms include: 1) support for password entry by password managers to address the memorization cognitive function test, and 2) copy and paste to help address the transcription cognitive function test.

Proposed 3.3.7 Accessible Authentication with all changes
For each step in an authentication process that relies on a cognitive function test<https://w3c.github.io/wcag/guidelines/22/#dfn-cognitive-function-test> (such as remembering a password or solving a puzzle), at least one other authentication method is available that does not rely on a cognitive function test, or a mechanism is available to assist the user in completing the cognitive function test.

Exception: The cognitive function test asks the user to recognize objects, or to recognize non-text content that the user provided to the website.

Note: Objects and content for the exception may be represented by images, text, video, or audio.

Note: Examples of mechanisms include: 1) support for password entry by password managers to address the memorization cognitive function test, and 2) copy and paste to help address the transcription cognitive function test.

Current 3.3.8 Accessible Authentication (No Exception)
For each step in an authentication process that relies on a cognitive function test<https://w3c.github.io/wcag/guidelines/22/#dfn-cognitive-function-test>, at least one other authentication method is available that does not rely on a cognitive function test, or a mechanism is available to assist the user in completing the cognitive function test.

Proposed 3.3.8 Accessible Authentication (No Exception)
For each step in an authentication process that relies on a cognitive function test<https://w3c.github.io/wcag/guidelines/22/#dfn-cognitive-function-test> (such as remembering a password or solving a puzzle), at least one other authentication method is available that does not rely on a cognitive function test, or a mechanism is available to assist the user in completing the cognitive function test.

The last change would reorganize the SC . With all the changes above and the proposed reorganization the 3.3.7 would read:

A cognitive function test<https://w3c.github.io/wcag/guidelines/22/#dfn-cognitive-function-test> (such as remembering a password or solving a puzzle), is not required for any step in an authentication process unless that step provides at least one of the following:

·         Alternative: Another other authentication method that does not rely on a cognitive function test.

·         Mechanism: A mechanism is available to assist the user in completing the cognitive function test.

·         Recognize objects: The cognitive function test is to recognize objects.

·         Identify own content: The cognitive function test is to identify non-text content the user provided to the website.

I believe 3.3.8 would then read:

A cognitive function test<https://w3c.github.io/wcag/guidelines/22/#dfn-cognitive-function-test> (such as remembering a password or solving a puzzle), is not required for any step in an authentication process unless that step provides at least one of the following:

·         Alternative: Another other authentication method that does not rely on a cognitive function test.

·         Mechanism: A mechanism is available to assist the user in completing the cognitive function test.

Thank you,

Rachael