Click menus vs hover menus

From: Steve Lee <stevelee@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 14:33:59 +0100
To: public-cognitive-a11y-tf <public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org>
I personally always find hover menus (like Amazon) really confusing on
Desktop and usually end up making them vanish when I want them to appear
by clicking.

This article got me thinking:

"I think you should should stop building hover menus too. I’m here to
tell you why."

https://css-tricks.com/in-praise-of-the-unambiguous-click-menu/

Is there a new coga issue here? Do we have any research? None of the
patterns seem to cover exactly but this is *very* close:

- Ensure Controls and Content Do Not Move Unexpectedly

Perhaps add an example to make it explicit?

Or perhaps an extension of these

- Clearly Identify Controls and Their Use - is hover use known?
- Use a Familiar Hierarchy and Design - is hover familiar?

Steve

PS Today I learnt one of our patterns is a law! :)
Jakob’s law of usability that “users prefer your site to work the same
way as all the other sites they already know.”
https://lawsofux.com/jakobs-law/