RE: Project to unify User Interface for accessing WCAG Supplemental Guidance

This email contains my comments, questions and suggestions for the Requirements Analysis document.  Note that while my input is focused on areas of concern, I am generally supportive of this effort.

Editorial:  The first sentence under "Background"

Current:  W3C/WAI has a wealth of guidance on how to make the web accessible by applying our standards. But we could improve how it is exposed:

Proposed:  W3C/WAI has a wealth of guidance on how to make the web accessible by applying our standards. But we could improve how this guidance is exposed:

indication of accuracy: WAI website includes guidance, some old guidance, and a lot in between. Indicating accuracy or age of content should help.

My comments:  I'm concerned with the reference to "accuracy".  If guidance isn't accurate, wouldn't the best course be to deprecate the guidance?

indication production readiness: we have some technical guidance that explains how to use a technology, but leaves browser support / known browser bugs out of scope (see aria-practices/issue-353#comment-368091861, also the aria-at project). Developers may implement patterns that won't work well (now). Not our fault, clearer labeling and compatibility info could avoid potential inaccessibility (maybe complemented with “Tell AT vendor about this bug” button)

My comments:  This sounds like it will be a maintenance challenge to keep this information updated, as browser version updates aren’t all that infrequent, and the issues with browsers come and go.

indication of requiredness: a lot of our guidance is a way to approach a problem, not the only way.

My comments:  This seems like a risky area to delve into.  How are we going to state “how required” a guideline is?  Yes/No?  Some in-between?  How will we decide the level of requiredness?  Won’t groups who sponsored a particular set of guidance feel that the guidance is required?

include more effective ways for users to be confident that specific guidance is:

timely and relevant in current technology environments

well-supported by assistive technologies

My comments:  This sounds extremely useful, but it also seems like it could be a maintenance challenge.  What will our measure be of “well-supported”, and will we list software and versions that support the guidance?  Do we risk liability if we miss listing some AT, or the company feels that we are miss-representing their level of support?

Regards,

Charles Adams