Re: Fwd: Re: WCAG 2.2 status - Visual indicators

Hi Abi and thanks for your support of this SC.

I'm not  sure if this discussion is best taken to the AG list or if
Rachael intended we discuss here first? Perhaps we can get agreement on
our thoughts here before taking it to DavidM and the AG list?

# Personalisation

Like you I'm concerned about the SC relying on personalisation as it
believe it will be the first to do so and the sort of issues you raise
and more should be dealt with on a global basis across WCAG / Silver.
There are an lot of issues and fine detail to be discussed and the
personalisation TF work may not be developed enough yet. I think it best
to remove the option that relies on personalisation for now.

Also if we think it's important enough for an SC then surely browser
implementations of standard controls must comply (via UAAG I assume). If
we say it can be done via personalisation then we'd need to also state a
default is provided and specify that anyway. TO be honest I'm not clear
here on the relation ship between UAAG and WCAG for SCs that affect
standard controls.

The Current Visual Indicator SC proposal

My concerns for the SC as it is are
1) It's unclear if is calling for all controls to have a indicator that
distinguishes their purpose / behaviour or just a caret or border.
2) All the details should probably be in the understanding. This is how
Keyboard Focus is handled without being prescriptive even though there
are clear requirements for focus indicators.

# Extending 3.2.4  Consistent Identification

Your suggestion for an extension to 3.2.4 is interesting an I think
could work. This does raise the issue of consistency as well as the need
to highlight interactivity.

That is an enhancement to my idea of just mirroring 2.4.7
Focus Visible which says 'the keyboard focus indicator" and does not
consider that it varies visually across edit controls and buttons.

Why did you say "within a page" and not "within a group of pages" like
3.2.4 does. I think that "page" is not good enough in general - we have
other Cognitive Patterns calling for better consistency across pages.

Interestingly 3.2.4 does not specify only Visual identification so I
assume that was deliberate and Roles exposed to AT should also provide '
Consistent Identification' (obvious really). Or does WCAG leave Roles
etc to the ARIA extension?

I expect this would have to be a new SC as I doubt it is at all possible
to refine an existing SC like 3.2.4 without breaking WCAG use. I expect
is highly problematical.

So in summary I be happy with your suggestion of a new SC that extends
3.2.4. I'm not sure the detail of contrast ratio should be in the SC as
it's not for Focus which is equally important in my mind. I think this
is better in the Understanding doc.

Steve

On 13/01/2020 21:31, James A. wrote:
> Hi Steve
>
> Thanks for the summary on this one. I've been trying to support the development of this SC but can't join the AG calls due to timing. I share some example with the group from e-commerce sites where within the same shopping basket screen underline had been used for decoration and links while some icons had borders and some didn’t (of which some were interactive). This is quite typical in ecommerce sites and mobile apps I work on.
>
> I am concerned about going down the personalisation route as a very strong use case for visual indicators is for when users are using touch screens and therefore can't access tooltip or focus indicators. Users on tablets and phone browsers are less likely to have access to browser extensions and personalisation tools as well due to the nature of mobile ecosystems.
>
> One thought that had crossed my mind after reading the minutes of the last discussion was whether the SC could pivot to say a site must consistent visual indicators across all pages. This would lead it up to the site owner to decide what visual indicators were suitable but then have to use them consistently. So if an underline was used for links it couldn't be used for decoration. This would also be an extension of the existing 3.2.4 Consistent Identification AA success criteria which only deals with consistency across pages.
>
> The SC would then need to be something like
>
> "Visual indicators for active user interface component are consistent within a page. Where the visual indicator is a underline or an outline shape, the visual indicator has a contrast ratio of 3:1 with at least one adjacent color."
>
> This would not require a page to use visual indicators, but it would require them to be either used consistently on all interactive components or not at all.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Abi

>>> Xsph4M%2Fedit%23heading%3Dh.ck57f2kxzytg&amp;data=01%7C01%7Ca.james%4
>>> 0soton.ac.uk%7C5015e227fefe4d000c3e08d79829f495%7C4a5378f929f44d3ebe8
>>> 9669d03ada9d8%7C0&amp;sdata=5ZXlSI2wkvESJY76xFGxlNSJ7LIK%2FD8SN2mPoaL
>>> 76kU%3D&amp;reserved=0> for visual indicators that I thought worth
>>> discussing more widely:

>>> If others feel similarly, then this is an indicator we should take
>>> this SC out of the WCAG 2.2 slot.
>>>
>>> We do need examples, and this is a very worthwhile exercise, but if
>>> we are not at the stage of refining SC wording then it is not an
>>> exercise that will fit in the WCAG 2.2 timeline.
>>>
>>> In any guidelines scenario (including Silver) we would have to be
>>> able to answer the question “What is an appropriate visual
>>> indicator?” for any user-interface control. If we cannot reliably
>>> answer that, then I suggest we put this as a research topic to tackle
>>> after WCAG 2.2, probably on the Silver timeline:
>>>
>>> https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww
>>> .w3.org%2FWAI%2FGL%2Fwiki%2FResearch_needed&amp;data=01%7C01%7Ca.jame
>>> s%40soton.ac.uk%7C5015e227fefe4d000c3e08d79829f495%7C4a5378f929f44d3e
>>> be89669d03ada9d8%7C0&amp;sdata=UGnNmoZZ%2FpabW9B0WVaVZIZ6470WkLRBrepF