Re: Readability of international language scripts

Hi John,

Respectfully, I don't think that's the actual case. In your scenario, using
"browser zoom" or a dedicated screen magnifier doesn't remove ad content,
it only makes that content larger (and *might* also introduce horizontal
scrolling - the reason for Success Criterion 1.4.10 Reflow in WCAG 2.1).
There may be a short-term benefit from moving sidebar content out of the
way via zooming, but at the cost of that horizontal scrolling in some
use-cases.

More to the point, I think at issue is that content authors *choose* to
reduce their font-size (i.e. CSS - body {font-size:80%;} ), reducing the
default browser font-size of 16 pt. down to something very close to 14 pt.
- in other words they are going the wrong direction. I honestly don't think
we'd ever get a WCAG SC in that forbade that (it would be too
prescriptive), but in terms of authoring guidance I think we
collectively might be able to provide more reasons and justifications for
increased font-sizes simply as a matter of course, and feed that
information into things like Project Silver and the tutorial work that is
emerging from EO WG (etc.)

JF