RE: Front-matter

Hi Alastair,

I appreciate your investigation very much. I understand your explanation.

With the following, I mean to be helpful, not critical.

I respectfully (truly!) object to what I perceive to be exclusionary-by-implication statements.

Examples

  *   "That does not apply to the coga-usable doc, for which there is a good argument to make it super-clear."
     *   Which W3C docs don't need to be super-clear?
  *   "The intended audience for this document is people who write documents with this kind of front-matter & format."
     *   People who write documents with this kind of front-matter & format include people with cognitive disabilities.
  *   "The gap-analysis (as chartered) is aimed at spec-writers and, regardless of ability/disability, reading & writing specs is something they are used to."
     *   I appreciate the sentiment. Yet, given the context of the other statements, this too appears to imply that reading & writing specs is something people with cognitive disabilities aren't capable of, so aren't used to.

For the COGA Task Force's response to what we perceive to be the W3C's pushback to making the Web accessible to people with cognitive disabilities, we need champions. I have always perceived you as one. My perception from your statements is you are espousing the party line rather than challenging it. In my opinion, we need to challenge / help the W3C change its systems and traditions to be inclusive of its members with cognitive disabilities.

John

John Rochford<http://bit.ly/profile-rj>
Eunice Kennedy Shriver Center
Director, INDEX Program
Faculty, Family Medicine & Community Health
www.DisabilityInfo.org
LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-rochford/>

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, proprietary, and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and destroy or permanently delete all copies of the original message.