Re: timeouts

Hi E.A.,

The Working Group's concern (as I recall) is that often the timeout period
is not "exact" but rather an approximation, and they didn't want to get
down to splitting hairs (especially since it would make testing a pain in
the neck).

So, for example, if we say that an authenticated session will be terminated
after 15 minutes, it doesn't force the page owner to police that timing to
the exact millisecond: if it times out after 14 minutes and 47 seconds,
well... close enough - the page will not be considered 'non-conformant'
because the Timeout Warning wasn't specific enough. In reality, I suspect
that the timing will be pretty accurate anyway, because it's a machine
tracking it, and machines are good at that type of thing. But given network
latency issues (etc.), it's really hard to be ultra-specific.

As such, it was felt that a modicum of flexibility would be prudent here,
and we can ensure that this is clearly explained in the Understanding
documents.

JF

--
John Foliot