timeouts

From: lisa.seeman <lisa.seeman@zoho.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 19:45:43 +0200
To: "public-cognitive-a11y-tf" <public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Cc: "Bradley Montgomery" <rbradley@mitre.org>
Hi Folks

We may only be able to get the following wording on time outs in WCAG: Where data can be lost due to user inactivity, users are warned before an activity timer is set about the estimated length of inactivity that generates the data loss, unless the data is preserved for a minimum of 20 hours of user inactivity.

With the wording above, some people might warn the user on every page that a timer starts, and not at the beginning of the process. SO i wont be able to know, at the start of a process, that this process times out to fast for me to complete the task and just gives me more to read.

Do we still see value in pushing for this SC if we can only get in the wording above?

(note the original wording is here: https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#timeouts
comment summary is here: https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/Resolving_Timeouts/?)