Re: language step by step: - was Re: might be last option for plain language

​​
Hi Lisa,

I am happy and prepared to hang-back after Tuesday's call to discuss this.
Some of the questions I am seeking to resolve:

   - The current proposed SC is asking for a word list, but in what kind of
   *format*? I deliberately provided a "list" in the excel format (.xslt)
   to illustrate a point: that a "list" is a non-technical term that needs
   better clarity. What format should the list be provided in? HTML? TXT? PDF?
   Other?

   - What is the proposed *content *of the list? It strikes me that a list
   of words, without any definition or other instructional use, is simply a
   list of words.
   Using the term *atmosphere* as one of my common 1500 words for a
   different site, do I simply list the term? Provide a short definition? Use
   it in a sentence? More? Less? Something entirely different?

   atmosphere – the blanket of gases that surrounds the Earth.
             Used in a sentence: burr, it’s cold in here, it must be
   something in the atmosphere.
   (source:
   http://reekoscience.com/science-glossary/glossary-of-science-words)

   - How is the list "provided"? I have previously asked about the *mechanism
   *where-by a list of words is *linked to a document or site*. There are
   no technical details about how this is envisioned to be accomplished - is
   it provided as meta-data, is it linked from the header or footer content,
   or something else instead? (Does this mean we have just mandated header
   and/or footer content or something similar?) Is the document simply stored
   at the root of the URL for any given site, and we then let spiders (Google)
   discover it? Or is the list registered at a central repository? (and if so,
   where?)

   - *What do we do* with this list? My list of 99 unique terms *was the
   list* that the SC requires for the referenced page, but then what? How does
   providing that list benefit any user?

Previously, you wrote, "The option of using coga semantics means..."

I will have to push back here slightly, as "coga semantics", while a
proposed W3C Recommendation, is still a long way from being a supported
specification, and we cannot be writing a dependant specification that
purports to use a technological solution that is still in a conceptual
phase.

The analogy to ARIA and WCAG 2.0 you have suggested previously is
incorrect, as each of the SC published in 2.0 could be accomplished in a
fashion that DID NOT require the use of ARIA - although by using ARIA you
got significant enhancements, and/or accomplishing "success" was
significantly easier, but there is a difference there.

Prior to working for Deque, I worked for one of the largest banks in
America (JPMC), and because our user-stats back then showed a significant
number of users who were behind the curve in terms of browser adoption, we
were not allowed to use ARIA alone to meet compliance requirements. While I
struggled mightily to change that position, it wasn't until just recently
that the bank relented to the point where ARIA is now an accepted solution
to specific issues. Even if the Coga Semantics spec was ready and finalized
prior to the release of 2.1, it does not mean that all web-publishers out
there will adopt it right away - and we cannot "force" them to do so.

So while Coga Semantics shows great promise, we cannot be dependent on that
today to meet the needs we are trying to meet.

Lisa, I'm not trying to be difficult here, I am genuinely concerned that
this SC as presented today is, at best, incomplete, confusing and of little
apparent value. I understand that for some users, a controlled vocabulary
(especially in the given context of labels, instructions, error message,
and other navigational elements) has a benefit. However, as currently
written, it is unclear how to apply that benefit to a web page / app /site
in any meaningful way, and minus that, this SC is (I'm afraid) quite
incomplete.

Respectfully,

JF