Re: Plain Language / Support Personalization

Hi Alastair,

Re: Plain Language - maybe I'm missing something else, but when I go to
reference the Github Issue for Plain Language
<https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/30>, it states:

   The intent of this success criterion is to ensure people can understand
   and use navigational elements, user interfaces, and instructions. Clear
   language for all content is an important accessibility principle. However,
   if the user does not understand words and terms in these critical areas,
   the whole application or web site often becomes unusable.

   A real-life example is a person, with mild dementia, trying to use an
   application to turn on a heating and air conditioning unit. The menu item
   for selecting heat or air conditioning is labeled "mode". The user does
   not know that "mode" refers to heat or to air conditioning, and thus cannot
   use the whole unit because of this one term.

I thus deduce that the issue is that the button's label (above), far from
being "uncommon", is, in fact, simply *lacking context *(and the referenced
text above is also why I included Plain Language in the Subject Line, as
that is where the quote is derived from).

My concern is that surfacing a "common words list" (in-and-of-itself) is
not solving the problem statement (user did not understand that Mode =
switch between cooling and heating).

Arriving there, I then ask myself "how could we address that problem
statement?" and the possible solutions that come to mind are almost
identical to those we have discussed regarding Personalization / Purpose Of
Controls (because the "intent" as outlined for Plain Language,
references navigational
elements, user interfaces, and instructions)

You wrote:

I saw the use-cases as:

   1. Easily identify *common*/conventional controls (either by using the
   conventional term, conventional description, or including the conventional
   name programmatically so icons can be associated by AT).

   2. Easily get an extended description of *uncommon*/conventional
   controls (a visible or visible-on-demand explanation in text).

   3. Important *text* (headings, instructions etc.) is written in plain
   language.

I see a bit of a conceptual difference between us, albeit slight. For #1
(*common* as opposed to *uncommon* controls) I would (personally) also be
satisfied to get an extended description (i.e. that is an acceptable, if
baseline-minimal-way of meeting the problem statement - something your
sample code alludes to here):

<label for=”input1”>Your Family Name</label><input type=”text”
id=”field1” *title=”Family
name, surname, or last name”*>

(in other words, for your Use Case #1, using @title would also be a success
technique)

I mentioned Plain Language in the subject line, as it WAS a topic of
discussion <https://www.w3.org/2017/08/03-ag-minutes.html#item02> on
Thursday's call, and as we discuss the user need, to my mind it again comes
down to using something of a fixed taxonomy: simply providing a "public
word list" does not (I argue) in-and-of-itself solve any problem, because
(again) "Mode" is, and would be, a common word used on many applications
where a configuration switch to change from one "mode" to another would be
offered. What is actually required (to my mind) is a "list" of both words
AND what they mean (another set of pairs - a taxonomy).

You offered a 3rd use case:

3. Important *text* (headings, instructions etc.) is written in plain
language.

...which is in scope for "Plain Language" (although the user-story there,
the one about the "Mode" button, is not the right story to illustrate the
need for headings, but *could* be rolled into the "instructions" bit of
your use-cases 1 & 2, when we use techniques like @title - and I am sorry
if I seem fixated on that attribute...)

Even here however, the Plain Language SC is ultimately asking for a "public
word list"

<lisa> Use the most common 1500 words or phrases or, provide words, phrases
or abbreviations that are the most-common form to refer to the concept in
the identified context.

...but without any clear indication of how that word list would be
associated to the page/content in question (and so here there are a tonne
of testing issues), nor how using that common word list helps solve any
problem (as, again, "Mode" would likely show up on a common word list for
control switches).

So... while I agree that there is likely some space between the 2 emergent
requirements, I don't think it is as wide as others may think, as
ultimately, in all of the use cases you brought forward, the 'need' could
be summed up in "I need more context/information to understand what to do
with this thing" (which *could* potentially be addressed in some instances
by swapping text for icons).

Is this making sense?

JF

--