RE: Last set of comments for the aria proposal

hi MikeOf course you are right , the more the user can choice to override  the better it will be. Pat of that will be enabled by the auther using the other aria attributes, part on a good personilzation algorithm and part on better wording of our aria proposal . As I said a few times, this is a starting point and should not only be about frequency of use as per my email proposal yesterday titled "importance or occurrence".

Athena ICT Accessibility Projects
LinkedIn, Twitter

---- On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 00:49:35 +0300 Michael Pluke<Mike.Pluke@castle-consult.com> wrote ----

  Hi Lisa

 The demo is very nice and well executed, however it does illustrate the difficulty of the use of global assessments of “importance”. If the user of the clothing store is a single male who is very keen on sports, the second stage of simplification loses the “Sports” option and leaves him with three options – “Men”, “Women”, “Children”. Only one of these is of any interest to this user and he will have completely lost the one option that is of most interest to him.

 This simplification is probably exactly what you would get if it was based on overall frequency of use. However, if people were able to choose how they would like the website simplified almost nobody would select these three options – they would all be happy to lose one or two of the three options they are given. Also, when anyone has a question or a problem, what they desperately need is the “contact us” option – it is the only option that can help them. However, because it is almost certainly used a lot less than the main shopping categories it is the first to go once the frequency of use rule behind aria-importance gets to work.

 Maybe I am overly pessimistic, but it seems to me that this way of handling “importance”, “reminders” and “distractions” sounds attractive  on the surface but I fear that these might (if widely applied) produce unintended negative consequences in practice.

 I can see that they might produce universal benefits if site creators actually implemented them with finesse, but I fear that in the real world there would be too many barriers to their deployment. For example, a site owner that rated the advertisements that pay for the running of the site as of “low importance” and “distracting” would very soon lose those advertisers to a rival site that doesn’t and they would go out of business!

 Ad blocking is pretty controversial at the moment (see http://uk.businessinsider.com/been-choice-founder-on-apples-ad-blocking-conundrum-2015-10?r=US&IR=T for example). These aria attributes, if used, would make life a lot easier for ad-blocking software and a lot harder for businesses that rely heavily on advertising for their existence.

 Don’t get me wrong, I am an advertisement hater – but I’m also very aware of the advertisement driven economy that fuels the modern Web and modern apps!

 Best regards

 Mike