RE: Key actions for this month

Hi MikeI agree that importance is subjective to the user.
Therefor it should be overidable by the personlization settings.

Athena ICT Accessibility Projects
LinkedIn, Twitter

---- On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 12:31:05 +0300 Michael Pluke<Mike.Pluke@castle-consult.com> wrote ----

  As I am not fluent in ARIA or JSON I have significant difficulties assessing the proposal as the examples shown do not mean a lot to me. Taking things to a more conceptual level I would like to understand how “importance” is being handled.

 The “Importance” section says that identifying and differentiating between critical features, medium features and less important features of a web page “need to be defined as important from a user perspective”. I totally agree with this. But, if I understand things (and the nice clothes shopping demo) correctly, the display of “more” or “less” options is based on the “importance” of various aspects of the page contents based on the web author’s assessment of their “importance”. This assessment would be based on a statistical analysis of usage of a feature.

 If I understand the idea correctly the web author’s “importance” assessment would be based on an understanding on what percentage of the users use a feature. Although this statistical approach might be adequate for some features (i.e. probably a very small percentage of users will be interested in “Investors” feature, the real “importance” of a feature would be a highly personal experience. For example, at a clothes shopping site I would guess that 60% of the visitors might be women, and 40% men. So based on the draft, these would both have a “high” ARIA importance. But, at a personal level men’s clothes would be “high” for me but women’s clothes would be “low” (I am not brave or stupid enough to try to shop for clothes for my wife). The sample Demo script includes the “Sports” option in the initial and “Less options” states – because the web author has rated its importance as “high”. This is fine for me, but “Sports” is a “low” priority for my wife.

 So my question is whether the ARIA importance approach is really delivering personalization. To me it is providing a simplification mechanism that might be beneficial in some contexts. However, my fear is that it might also create site simplifications that are very unhelpful to many customers  as it will remove options that are important to them. This type of “personalization” would be very unhelpful for anyone with atypical preferences.

 Many Autistic Spectrum users have their own intense interests and these may often be far removed from typical interests! Their unusual favourite interests would always be removed as soon as they attempts to simplify a complicated site.

 Best regards

 Mike