RE: Deborah Dahl to speak on task force work

Hi Debbie,

Here are two ideas relating to "web page makeover".

1)       Take a look at the Mencap website<https://www.mencap.org.uk/>, the accessibility of which is oriented to people with cognitive disabilities. On the top, right of each page is an "Easy web" button that presents simplified content for people with intellectual disabilities. That content is presented multi-modally. Near the top of each page are three tabs: "video, words, and links". The "words" tab content has simple language and contextually-relevant imagery. For an example, see http://mylife.mencap.org.uk/landing.asp?id=40&type=video

2)       In 2009, I created an experiment that essentially switches between easy and standard versions of the same text content. My blog article explaining it is at https://clearhelper.wordpress.com/2009/12/26/switching-between-standard-plain-language-versions-1st-attempt/ . The experiment is still operational. If you decide to use it, I could clean it up before you do. I have been waiting for incentive to update that page/experiment anyway. Its plain, clumsy look would be embarrassing if I could be embarrassed.

John

John Rochford<http://profiles.umassmed.edu/profiles/display/132901>
UMass Medical School/E.K. Shriver Center
Director, INDEX Program
Instructor, Family Medicine & Community Health
www.DisabilityInfo.org
Twitter: @ClearHelper<https://twitter.com/clearhelper>
[Facebook Button]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/New-England-INDEXShriver-CenterUMass-Medical-School/227064920160>[Twitter Button]<https://twitter.com/NEINDEX> [WordPress Logo] <http://www.disabilityinfo.org/blog/>