Action Item # 23: Complexity Described

From: Rochford, John <john.rochford@umassmed.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 16:12:58 +0000
To: "lisa.seeman@zoho.com" <lisa.seeman@zoho.com>, "public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org" <public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Hi Lisa,

I believe Action Item # 23, as you described it during our last teleconference, is too complex for me to accomplish. The following are several reasons.

*     Research would have to be found and reviewed, and which may not exist, to answer such questions as the following.

o  What are good symbols for each cognitive disability population?

o  What language, for each symbol's tool tip text, would be simple enough to comprehend by each cognitive disability population?

*     To account for other factors, such as those below, many symbols and associated tool tips would have to be created, and for each population.

o  context

o  localization

o  language

o  age group

*     Each symbol for each set would have to be created. There are no directly-relevant symbol sets, at least that I can find, without copyright restrictions.

*     I don't have the needed symbol-related expertise or experience.

*     It is unlikely others of our group, including those who perhaps possess the needed symbol-related expertise and experience, would have the time to provide me sufficient assistance to accomplish all of the work.

*     I don't have the funding for the effort needed. (Even my interns are paid.)

*     Were I to perform all the work myself, it would take me exponentially more time than it would for someone with good vision.

I suggest we do only a proof of concept: a symbol set based upon our adaptable links and buttons page<https://w3c.github.io/coga/issue-papers/links-buttons.html>, and associated with the JSON personalization scripting<https://rawgit.com/ayelet-seeman/coga.personalisation/ExampleWebPage/demo1.0.html> Ayelet and Chaohai are creating. I have completed work on creating a proof of concept. Right after this message, I will send another with that work.

John

John Rochford<http://profiles.umassmed.edu/profiles/display/132901>
UMass Medical School/E.K. Shriver Center
Director, INDEX Program
Instructor, Family Medicine & Community Health
www.DisabilityInfo.org
Twitter: @ClearHelper<https://twitter.com/clearhelper>
[Facebook Button][Twitter Button] [WordPress Logo]

image001.png
(image/png attachment: image001.png)

image002.png
(image/png attachment: image002.png)