From: Steve Lee [steve@opendirective.com]
Sent: 08 April 2015 17:44
To: Jamie Knight
Cc: public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org
Subject: Re: Use of tablets by an autistic child.

At some point Garry Paxton talked to the Proloquo guys about a format
of the Mulberry symbols [1]  they could use (pdf I think). They are
aimed at older users. I don't think it ever happened though.

1: http://opendirective.net/blog/2015/03/mulberry-symbols-for-aac-svg-and-apis/

Steve Lee
OpenDirective http://opendirective.com

On 8 April 2015 at 12:56, Jamie Knight <Jamie.Knight@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks for sharing the link Steve.
>
> I also have some experience of using iOS devices for things such as AAC. I use an app called Proloquo4Text to provide me with a voice when i cannot speak.
>
> If you wish i can demonstrate some of the tools i use at the Face-2-face.
>
> Something the article touches on, but does not delve into the the benefits in confidence brought on by having an alternative.
>
> Before AAC was cheap, i simply didn't do things which would lead to me loosing speech. So i never traveled alone, i had to avoid all loud places. Now i have the confidence of having a capable _trusted_ AAC device in my pocket i do those things more knowing i have a backup.
>
> When AAC was expensive, i never would have been offered it. In the eyes of others (which lets face it, is where most decision about support are made!) my communication needs relating to confidence were not valuable.
>
> Finally, i have also repurposed some mainstream apps for my own needs, i have written about it here: http://jkg3.com/Journal/ios-apps-autism-and-anxiety
>
> Hope that helps with some additional thoughts from a slightly older perspective.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jamie + Lion

http://www.bbc.co.uk
If you have received it in