Re: what are the brain functions

I'll get on this then. For at least one more month, my doctoral work is
all online at: http://staff.washington.edu/deibel/dissertation.html

Sorry, but I don't have any shorter papers on it. If you want those,
help me get some secure employment so that I can use my free time to
actual write instead of constant job hunting.

In general, though, I found that the lack of AT adoption was a
combination of several things. First, there is a lack of awareness of
available technology, which suggests there are impeding factors to
diffusion. Next, there are huge sociocultural factors that make adults
with dyslexia want to hide their disability from others. Thus, any AT
usage will be done in carefully controlled contexts, usually private.
The lack of public usage further hinders diffusion of the technology.
This is why one of my design recommendations is that the AT should not
only offer reading support but also privacy management.

In all honesty, I cannot say for certain if the current tech is great or
not. Finding adults with dyslexia who consistently use assistive reading
tech is hard. Of the 100s of folks I know who have dyslexia, I know
slightly more than 10 who are ongoing users. Most of these fall into two
categories. The first are techies (I live in Seattle) who are all about
using technology. The others are minimal readers. They rarely read
outside of school or work reasons and are willing to do anything to
speed up the process. Admittedly, my user population is biased in that I
have focused mostly on university students, but I did this to make sure
I found people with dyslexia who actually read. In fact, I found some
who make my bookworm habits appear minimal.

Despite this, I would say that most of the tech for reading support is
aimed at learning to read rather than reading to learn. This is due in
part to most of the work coming from education. I do make some
suggestions on how we could make the e-book revolution actually
beneficial for all readers in regards to the proliferation of reading
support tools.

Kate Deibel, PhD

--

"To make a difference, one must subtract one number from another."