From: Simon Evans [mailto:simon@cognable.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2014 12:54 AM
To: Rochford, John
Subject: WAI Cog-PF

Hi John,

<snip>

I noted this from Liddy via Lisa Seeman on  Mon, 14 Jul 2014

> 1    .... these notes should be international

> 2    ...... the list of functional requirements the user might have?

> 3    ..... the use case was therefore independent of medical conditions

> that cause the need.

I hoped you would pass on a similar plea next meeting - especially for the

move away from the pseudo-clinical model....

...but for standard clinical definitions and terminology there is:

http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd/icd10cm.htm#icd2015

...mapping guidance/analysis to ICD-10 would be both a huge task and rather

anachronistic.

A  functional/adaptive behaviour framework  and approach (far better suited

your remit) is defined in ICF:

http://www.who.int/classifications/icf/en/

This doc would serve as case for ICF usage and an ICF primer:

http://www.who.int/classifications/icf/icfbeginnersguide.pdf?ua=1

Most functional/adaptive assessments in social/health sectors serving

dementia, cognitive and ID now reference ICF. Adding more granularity to

some sections and co-opting others from this framework would seem a simpler

task for your working group and map to a very much wider population than are

currently considered.

....I should add almost all UN Member States have ratified ICD-10/ICF - I

think the US is moving towards mandating them currently, but ICF is already

quite embedded in assessment practice.

Simon