Best,
Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
----- Forwarded by Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM on 02/28/2014 12:44 PM
-----

From: Peter D Blanck <pblanck@syr.edu>
To: Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
Date: 02/26/2014 07:08 AM
Subject: FW: fyi friends

Hi Rich.

I can’t remember if I sent you this email, next generation of research and
advocacy …

Please circulate to your participants in the W3C Cognitive Accessibility
Task Force.

best!  peter
----------------
Please find attached my new article entitled: The Struggle for Web eQuality
by Persons with Cognitive Disabilities.

The work is the culmination of research over several years supported by the
Coleman Institute and others, and summarized my forthcoming book called
eQuality, to be published by Cambridge University Press later this year in
2014, with Foreword by David Braddock.

Attached is the online initial version of the article by Wiley, a fully
accessible version still needs to be posted by the publisher.

In terms of good timing, note that the 3rd edition of my Disability Policy
and Law book also appeared this week, with extensive updates in the legal
developments and policy in the area. See West Publishing webpage.

The attached article will appear in a Special Issue of the leading journal
Behavioral Sciences and the Law, which I was asked to act as a Special
Editor and topics related to the web and accessibility, and which I hope
will be of strong interest.

All best, peter

The Struggle for Web eQuality by Persons with Cognitive Disabilities
Peter Blanck, Ph.D., J.D.*1

This article is based on the book eQuality: The Struggle for Web
Accessibility by Persons with Cognitive Disabilities (2014, Cambridge
University Press). It contends that the rights of individuals with
cognitive disabilities to equal access to web content are not only
protected under law, but may also be implemented and supported by current
user-based, semantic and cloud technologies. Consistent with the Americans
with Disabilities Act and the U.N. Convention on the Rights of Persons with
Disabilities, web content equality is defined through functional, rather
than disability-specific, approaches and techniques to enable
personalization and customized usage across online functions. Legal
challenges brought forward by individuals with cognitive and other
disabilities illustrate the barriers still faced by individuals with
disabilities to web equality as well as some of the solutions to and
outcomes of these challenges. In closing, a view for the full and equal
enjoyment of web content, which considers technology, financial benefits,
and the role of advocacy and regulations, is discussed. Copyright # 2014
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

Peter Blanck, Ph.D, J.D.
University Professor
Chairman, Burton Blatt Institute

Syracuse University
900 Crouse Avenue
Crouse-Hinds Hall, Suite 300
Syracuse, New York.  13244-2130
(315) 443-9703 phone
(315) 443-9725 fax

Web http://bbi.syr.edu

Twitter http://twitter.com/BBISyracuse

http://www.facebook.com/BurtonBlattInstitute

 (See attached file: Peter Blanck -- Web Accessibility -- 2014 BSL
online.pdf)(See attached file: Peter Blanck -- Web Accessibility -- 2014
BSL online.pdf)(See attached file: Blanck intro bsl2106[1] 2014.pdf)