Re: minutes..... The Cognitive Accessibility Task Force Teleconference, Monday 14th April

a repaired version - Jim

http://www.w3.org/2014/04/14-coga-minutes.html

> Horrid-looking (to me) text version below - hopefully helpful?

Cognitive Accessibility Task Force

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present+44.203.618.aaaa, +1.804.749.aabb, Katie_Haritos-Shea,
+1.512.445.aacc, Michael_Cooper, Suzann_Keohane,
Neil_MillikenRegretsLisa_SeemanChairNeil_MillikenScribeLiddy

Contents

Topics

User group findings: aging and dementia
Follow up on cognitive tags by Jim Allan
Review of APPL by Suzanne Taylor
User group findings: ADD / ADHD
other items

Summary of Action Items

________________________________

<MichaelC> scribe: Liddy

User group findings: aging and dementia

KHS presenting aging etc postponed to next week after edits suggested by
Lisa

Jim: cognitive tags

people joining

Follow up on cognitive tags by Jim Allan

Jim: Clayton can help - task to look at exec function
... a construct for thinking about how brain works
... sometimes things very medical but not clear where everything happens

cognitive abilities of cog function grouped .

<allanj> Loosely group into the following areas: goal formation, planning,
goal-directed action, self-monitoring, attention, response inhibition, and
coordination of complex cognition and motor control for effective
performance.

Jim: this will go in wiki
... I have definitions...

<allanj> 1. Inhibition - The ability to stop one's own behavior at the
appropriate time, including stopping actions and thoughts. The flip side of
inhibition is impulsivity; if you have weak ability to stop yourself from
acting on your impulses, then you are "impulsive."

<allanj> 1. Inhibition - The ability to stop one's own behavior at the
appropriate time, including stopping actions and thoughts. The flip side of
inhibition is impulsivity; if you have weak ability to stop yourself from
acting on your impulses, then you are "impulsive."

<allanj> 2. Shift - The ability to move freely from one situation to
another and to think flexibly in order to respond appropriately to the
situation (

<allanj> 3. Emotional Control - The ability to modulate emotional responses
by bringing rational thought to bear on feelings. (tolerate frustration)

<allanj> 4. Initiation - The ability to begin a task or activity and to
independently generate ideas, responses, or problem-solving strategies
(also, ability to finish)

<allanj> 5. Working memory - The capacity to hold information in mind for
the purpose of completing(/performing) a task

<allanj> 6. Planning/Organization - The ability to manage current and
future- oriented task demands.

<allanj> 7. Organization of Materials - The ability to impose order on
work, play, and storage spaces.

<allanj> 8. Self-Monitoring - The ability to monitor one's own performance
and to measure it against some standard of what is needed or expected.

Jim: many abilities in many articles
... these lead to many functional problems

<allanj> all 8 of these exist on a continuum, if each is on a slider,
depending where you put the sliders, you come up with various disabilities

Neil: there are many things that lead to problems with people not aware of
them, how to we formulate solutions

Jim: many have to do with user settings
... eg linearise the page, stop movement on page, ...
... but there will be server-based things - eg for Siri - augmented page eg

Neil: we've seen govt with easy-read docs - maybe more poeple affected than
we realise

Jim: I will finish now and put this in wiki

<janina> akim, next item

Review of APPL by Suzanne Taylor

<janina> s/appl/apip/

ST: should this be review of something else? not able to do this now

User group findings: ADD / ADHD

NM: is anyone working on this?
... is this Barry Johnson's work - he is not here?

other items

NM: anyone have anything else?

ST: review ready but April 5

DR: prsonal problems so reporting next week ..

JF: to help DR this week

Joseph: my daughter needs help getting ready for the day - done work on
non-vocal section and so maybe report ready next Monday
... exec function very helpful and excellent

KD: I just joined group so this is first meeting - sectioning requirements
have a lot to do with exec functions - past experience supports this
... eg headings etc break up the page effectively

Neil: I agree

NM: whip is cracking on all task group members!!
... anything else?
... what are timelines?

yes, I see, sorry - how can it be fixed?

MC: note that chair has been Neil not Michael - correct re whip especially!

NM: any more?
... autism is next on list - who is that?

<MichaelC> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Main_Page

MC: Lisa has assignees listed in wiki - they are not here

LN: talking about constrained languages

<Neil_Milliken> http://www.globish.com/

thank you!

<janina> Who would we ask about the prospect of an internationally agreed
constrained vocabulary? Seems it would beyond scope for W3C to establish
such a thing.

Liddy: www.globishfoundation.org

Janina: tricky to get this adopted - by whom?

Liddy: maybe we can do this in ISO with education tech group because it is
a practice known in education

Janina: all for this - yes, let's push for this
... seems like a worthy goal - association of ESL people could help too

LN: many lists exist and there are something like 200 of the 1500 words
that are contentious

NM: good idea - let's keep this going

LN: human translation etc very much more accurate

Janina: copyright can be a problem...

NM: yes

LN: copyright can be triacky

ST: with a constrained vocab, you could just translate sections so
automated translation of bits could be done - eg if complicated section

Janina: need to get copyright owners on side but dictionaries from standard
to constrained language would be helpful

ST; constrained vocab checker good

LN: this is available already
... I will wrtie this up for wiki

Janina: I will follow it

NM: Lisa would like vendors involved in this task force
... eg getting Dragon etc people involved
... impoartant to not set up standards that vendors might not want - better
for all to work together
... all done, thank you!

<MichaelC> ack ??P17

Janina: wonderful chairing - applause!!