Re: Reference concerning Aristotle

Good question. I was relying on summaries of his work. You could look at:

 https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/aristotle-rhetoric/

In summary, Aristotle and his peers advocate building arguments around:

Ethos: establishing credibility to engender trust
Pathos: using emotion to stir people’s feelings
Logos: using logic to emphasise rational support
Kairos: opportune, i.e. timely and topical in nature

Walton and others discuss the ideas of argumentation schemes, e.g. establishing credibility by providing evidence that you or a person you cite is an expert with relevant experience.

Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>