Re: Something on grammar

Hi Christian,

Many thanks for your feedback. I have moved it here to archive the thread.

Previous work on semantics has largely focused on logic-based approaches, however, that is a poor fit to how people reason, as noted by Philip Johnson-Laird. The chunk representation derives from work by John Anderson on ACT-R, and takes an informal approach to semantics based upon applying production rules to graphs.

Chunks makes it relatively easy to create knowledge graphs for specific domain scenarios such as the restaurant demo. The lexicon then has to be developed to match the vocabulary.  I am planning on re-using the restaurant dialogue and its variants to explore the syntax-semantic mapping challenge, along with some additional examples that focus on specific issues for disambiguation.

My investigation last year showed that it is much better to work on end-to-end communication of meaning than on NLU or NLG alone. Shift-reduce parsing proved to be easier to work with than I expected. In the short term, I have hand coded the corresponding rules, but this suggests the idea of a future demo that learns the rules from dialogue examples.

Syntactic and semantic processing need to proceed incrementally and parallel. The parser devolves disambiguation as a means to avoid backtracking. Demonstrating how that works in practice is a key goal for the work in 2021. The basic idea is to launch a number of threads that are executed concurrently to evaluate alternatives and apply the winner to the phrase structure graph.

The functional constraints on syntax-semantic mappings to support stochastic selection, reversibility and compositionally are good enough to allow me to develop proposals for a rule language given a set of examples to work from. I hope to find a clean syntax, and to then implement a parser and execution engine as I did for chunks rules.

I will also need to work on the means to identify and score alternatives for both NLG and NLU along with keeping track of working memory for each concurrent thread of execution.

Thanks for the note about the missing “dass”. It was indeed present in the original, along with “dat” for the Dutch version. I will update the slides on the web to fix that.

I will also follow up the links you provided and see what ideas emerge.

Kind regards,
Dave