Re: Introductions ...

Hi Nishant,

Welcome aboard!

Chunks are collections of properties whose values are literals, names of other chunks, or lists thereof. Goal directed rules are expressed in terms of chunks, inspired by CMU's popular cognitive architecture ACT-R.  Tasks can be modelled as sets of rules, where rules initiate, progress or terminate the task. Another key aspect is that chunk retrieval is stochastic, reflecting the statistics of prior knowledge and past experience.

Following ACT-R, rule conditions and actions operate over buffers that hold single chunks. To retrieve a chunk from a cognitive database module, you need an action to query the database, resulting in a response that update’s the module’s chunk buffer. This architecture may seem strange at first, but is actually very effective in scaling to large databases and fits well with web architectural principles, along with the ability to support a broad range of graph algorithms that can be efficiently executed locally to the data.

For more details see: https://www.w3.org/Data/demos/chunks/chunks.html <https://www.w3.org/Data/demos/chunks/chunks.html>

Let’s talk about natural language in another thread.

Kind regards,
Dave

> On 29 Jan 2020, at 23:44, Nishant Shukla <shukla@dm.ai> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> Glad to see this group form, and honored to participate.
>
> I'm Nishant, AC rep from DMAI, Inc. [1], and also Chair of the Conversational Interfaces [2] CG.
>
> We're fascinated by the discussion around Chunks. Random idea, maybe the data structure could be a first-class citizen of a programming language? To explain where I'm coming form, I'd like to share an article [3] I wrote about a programming language (called DMPL) for representing tasks/goals.
>
> [1] https://dm.ai/ <https://dm.ai/>
> [2] https://www.w3.org/community/conv/ <https://www.w3.org/community/conv/>
> [3] https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/dmpl/ <https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/dmpl/>
>
> Best,
> Nishant Shukla, VP Engineering
> DMAI, Inc.

W3C Data Activity Lead & W3C champion for the Web of things