Re: What is an app Re: Kick starting the Web App UX debate

On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Charles McCathie Nevile <
chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

> +1 ; I think at our level what matters is:
>>> * how the content/service provider wants her Web-based experience to be
>>> perceived like
>>>

> I think the issue is more complex. One of the traditional strengths of the
> Web is that the user gets a say. Authors tend not to like that, so the
> successful way to make it work tends to allow the author a lot of control
> over the default presentation, in ways that still let the user adapt it
> easily to their particular situation if necessary.

I'd like to understand this more. Other than resizing a browser window and
zooming the text what *else* do users do? I'll also go back to my previous
email and call the distinction between a web document and
'something-higher-level-that's-not-a-doc'. If you're viewing a full screen
canvas animation, what can the user do to 'adapt it'?

My claim is that that vast majority of 'adaption' that we see on the web is
applied to flowed text. I agree with this and agree this is an awesome part
of the web. However, what does it mean to carry this ability into
non-documents? My concern is that we are using yesterdays tasks to define
tomorrows features.

Scott