Re: Summary of discussions so far

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 8:03 AM, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:

> > 3) Possible tie ins to the Network optimizations so background data can
> be triggered
>
> Not sure what you mean here?

I was just referencing Dom's previous point about background data in web
apps. This may indeed be totally orthogonal to my point, i.e. it equally
applies to apps as much as normal web sites.

> > 4) Access to notifications, etc.
>
> How would these differ from "Web Notifications"?
> http://www.w3.org/TR/notifications/

Probably not at all... Seems very reasonable.

> > My basic point is that we are sticking our head in the sand if we want
> to 'be more like apps' but then insist on acting like a scrolling document
> window festooned with a 'command line' (URL bar) at the top of every page.
> We can't have it both ways.
> >

> I don't think it's one or the other (app or web). Various aspects of each
> should be controllable to afford developers with the ability to provide
> users with the best experience possible.

Fair enough, I will still reiterate (from a design point of view) that
there should be more 'web apps' that really truly behave like apps, and not
wanna-be apps with legacy web cruft (like a URI type in bar) tacked on and
serving little purpose. Before I start a flame war, if people want to build
'apps' with the full browser chrome, knock yourself out, I'm not against
that. However, like you, I believe in choice and I hope our discussion of
web apps allows me to choose to loose much of the legacy browser UI...

Scott