Re: W3C change: Balisage conference paper on change tracking, possible meeting

Dear Robin, all,
unfortunately I won’t be able to attend Balisage this year. But I fully support the idea of working on a standard format for tracking changes in XML.

In particular I think it is important to discuss together about "a natural representation of typical document editing actions” as stated in your proposal. It would be great if changes in Level 2 - and other high-level operations - could be tracked in the same way by different tools.

About that, I would also stress on the distinction between change-tracking tools within XML editors (that record edits while these are performed) and XML diff algorithms (that calculate differences “backward”, taking as input two documents and producing a delta). Calculating high-level changes is even more difficult for diff algorithms but a standard model/format would be useful for them as well, to build sophisticated applications for the final users.

Best regards,
Angelo

Angelo Di Iorio, PhD
University of Bologna, Bologna (Italy)