Re: RDF + Script

Hi, Jonathan-

~:'' ありがとうございました。 wrote (on 9/10/2007 5:46 PM):

> hope this was for public consumption...

I certainly hope so, as well, because it's now public.  I'd prefer you
ask permission to share private messages.  In this case, no harm done,
it was just a silly little throw-away project.

> that really is a very nice example, thanks once again.

No problem, I find simple programming like that relaxing, which I needed
after the stressful 2 weeks previous.

> My concept was for examples that did not require script.
> though failing that, script seems to be a useful and necessary first step.

I gathered you were talking about script:
"Nobody's been able to show me a way that you can use RDF with
client-side scripting or CSS to actually use the RDF" [1]

> As with many things it would be enlightening to hear the views of others.

Sure.

> initial ideas might include:
> a user style sheet to identify public domain icons within a document.

I don't know of a way you could do that, but maybe someone who knows CSS
better than I do could work it up.  Note also that CSS is not
namespace-aware, so that might throw a wrinkle into things... then
again, maybe not.  Assuming that the icon contained RDF, you'd want to
use selectors to identify all elements that have an "RDF" child element,
and AFAIK, CSS can only pinpoint elements which have a particular
parent, not a particular child.  Then you'd have to assess if children
of that RDF block contained matches for particular strings to find if
the the license was a public domain one... again, I doubt you can do
this in CSS.

However, both of these methods are easy in script (QED my example), and
you could then set the style via script if that's what you want.

[1]
http://wiki.cetis.ac.uk/Putting_the_User_at_the_Heart_of_the_W3C_Process#Part_2:_Transcript

Regards-
-Doug Schepers