Re: [WICD] focusable child elements / Action-383

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:02:10 +0200, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:
>>> WICD Core assumes identical treatment, for as long as (scalable)
>>> child elements are not explicitly made focusable.
>
> AvK> Aren't such things up to the UI of the particular device?
>
> No, not by default; thats why CDF is working on a specification for
> them. So that authors can actually design usable content with meaningful
> navigation and have it work the same in multiple implementations.

Authors should just be concerned with making sure that each element the
user should be able to navigate to is declared as such. They can also give
hints as to where the UA should go next but the final descision for such
things should be up to the UA.

> AvK> For example,
> AvK> some browsers allow you to "focus" images so you send them to
> someone else
> AvK> or save them. Such things are important from an accessibility
> perspective.
>
> All of which is possible at user option, not precluded by having a
> standardized defauly focus and navigation scheme, and thus a poor
> argument against having this well specified.

Users normally don't configure their browser. I don't think any
specification should contrain the particular UI implementation of a UA.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>