Re: CDR user agent conformance; DOM shouldn't be mandatory

On Jan 31, 2006, at 9:32 PM, Mark Baker wrote:

> Maciej,
>
> On 1/31/06, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>> Would the CDR spec then make any requirements whatsoever of a user
>> agent? Everything it has that even resembles a requirement on a user
>> agent depends on the UA having a DOM. The only sections that could
>> even possibly apply to non-DOM UAs (2.3, 2.4) are marke "This section
>> is informative." Of course, as written, the spec already makes no
>> substantive requirements of UAs or anything else, but that has at
>> least some hope of being fixed.
>
> I understand and sympathize with your general concern, but to clarify
> for this specific issue, are you saying that you believe that UAs
> should be required to support the DOM?

I am saying that I do not understand your proposal. In its normative
sections, the CDR spec defines DOM interfaces and DOM event dispatch
for particular uses. That's it. There is nothing in any of the
normative sections that could apply to a non-DOM UA. This is like
asking that DOM Level 3 Events not require a UA to support the DOM.

Or do you have some specific proposal for requirements on non-DOM UAs?

Regards,
Maciej