Re: EME-protected VIDEO element and drawImage

On 1/15/14, 9:51 AM, Rik Cabanier wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 4:25 AM, Hans Schmucker
> <hansschmucker@gmail.com <mailto:hansschmucker@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     There is a slight issue wit EME protected and Canvas, since
>     EME-protected content may not be drawable, because it is protected.
>
>     Is there a reason why this flag would disallow drawing? It seems
>     that setting the /origin-clean/ flag to false is sufficient.

I hate to bring it up, but, origin-clean is not going to be sufficient.

a) The content may be inaccessible to the underlying Canvas api in some
particular hardware circumstances. There could be a separate buffer. In
that case, the video may be viewable but not at all drawable via Canvas.

b) Even if it's accessible, the purpose of EME is to go above-and-beyond
the anticircumvention clause of the DMCA -- for example: it would be
relatively easy to circumvent EME when used for anti-copying within
browsers by viewing the EME content within an escalated privilege.

(b) felt wordy, so, re-stating, I don't think they want us to be able to
just boot up a chrome-extension, give it full access to all origins, and
through that, circumvent an EME-video stream. Even though we would be
circumventing (covered by DMCA).

I'm not speaking on behalf of any party, and that's another reason why
perhaps I shouldn't be bringing these issues up, but I do feel I've a
clear understanding... though I suppose that's just a feeling. IANAL. I
just spar with them on occasion.

-Charles