Re: [whatwg] Grouping in canvas 2d

If you nest layers, there would always be a need for more than 1 but that
is not usually a problem. Keeping an extra canvas around just-in-case also
seems inefficient since it will need the same dimensions as your whole
canvas.
Reusing canvas objects will also make it harder for a browser to
optimize/pipeline the drawing.

This is such a common idiom. Why would we force developers to write complex
and error prone code if a simple API change can do the same?