Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-201: canvas-fallback by Amicable Resolution

Richard,

I'm glad that Ted has loosened the restrictions on elements within the
Canvas sub-tree.

I'm running some final tests on:
context = document.createElement('canvas').getContext('2d');
CanvasPath = context.createPath();
'and'; context.beginPath(CanvasPath);
'as well as'; context.measureText().baseline;

It took two years for big-browser representatives to agree that the
methods should even exist.

Unfortunately [baring in mind, we did use the same tactics], the
consensus was hijacked by other agendas and folded into a large
work-package. It's a shame that the chairs discarded the prior CP and
patches.
I'll post back onto public-canvas-api with my status on pushing this
part of the 2011 - 2012-08 working draft into the WebKit code base.

Though flustered by the Hixie-Atkins counter-proposal, I'm reassured by
WHATWG precedent that the spec will follow the least resistance in
implementation.

Given how easy it is to actually follow the instructions we outlined in
2010 - 2012, I am hopeful that Mozilla and the WebKit consortium will
accept these simple patch sets, and that other closed source
implementations will follow given the rather low-investment it requires
to address the deficiencies we've identified.

On the topic of lightweight objects: having seen several vendors comment
that canvas sub-tree objects are already lightweight, I don't see much
reason to implement the lightweight objects API. However, if I do
contribute to that method, I will ensure it implements ARIA 1.0,
understanding that the Atkins-Hixie specification merely calls for the
implementation of the ARIA "role" and "label" methods.

On a personal note:
I have invested quite a bit in implementing W3C drafts, only to be
rebuffed by W3C members about my use cases. I've Canvas 2d as specified
[for years] in several web applications, and faced abuse from W3C
contributing members; I've followed up with AT software testing, only to
be rebuffed again by W3C contributing members.

I'd hoped for leadership from W3C chairs in identifying minority
interests. Instead, I've seen them guard their egos, unable to grant due
moderation to simple subjects around implementation. Their inability to
treat or moderate invited experts well, their inability moderate the
continued "controversy" around ARIA and longdesc; their absolute neglect
toward long-standing interests such as pen input, is disappointing. I am
not a paid contributor, and while I will continue to send public e-mails
to the public-canvas-api mailing list, as well as other public lists, I
will no longer volunteer my "invited expertise" to the W3C as it exists
today. I've seen too many good people have their time and their good
faith abused under the supervision of this leadership.

-Charles