Re: canvas example

On 12/23/11 6:11 PM, Jonathan Mcdougall wrote:
> That being said, trying to come up with accessibility features for
> <canvas>  does not strike me as being a priority. It is not structured
> information, it is merely a bitmap. SVG is a much better target for
> this.

Jonathan, I figure code is easier to use to explain at this point, now
that we've got the basics down.

Here I am turning the checkbox into something that will describe that a)
it's a checkbox, and b) whether it is checked, unchecked or mixed.
https://github.com/Downchuck/canui/commit/36e816198000dc08fde8c2742f7bd3624c9b8935

There are some other tweaks to be had, but that shows the magic pretty well.
It took me 30 minutes to clone, boot up and edit the project to support
accessible checkbox. There are additional subtleties to add, and when we
see vendor support of drawFocusRing they'll be easy to do.

https://github.com/Downchuck/canui/commits/

I only altered the first example -- you can go ahead an open inspector
and see the setAttribute firing on the checkbox element when you toggle
it on and off.
http://downchuck.github.com/canui/examples/offline.html

That kind of information makes all the difference. There are other WCAG
issues, but that's the biggest one and it's easy to fix.

-Charles