Re: Request to re-open issue 131

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 3:25 AM, Steve Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jonas
>
> you wrote:
> "I am personally not at all interested in implementing APIs that are
> there solely for building text editors in canvas."
>
> Of the proposed APIs which do you consider are solely for building text editors?
>
> focus management
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/canvas-extensions/Overview.html#focus-management-1
> caret and selection management
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/canvas-extensions/Overview.html#caret-and-selection-management
> extensions to text metrics
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/canvas-extensions/Overview.html#extension-to-the-textmetrics-interface
> hit testing
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Canvas_hit_testing

The question can easily be answered using the age old saying: "what is
the use case".

For any feature that we introduce to the web platform we need to have
use cases. If the only use case we can come up with are ones to
implement text editors, then it would seem like an API "solely for
building text editors".

Based on that, it would seem like at least hit testing and focus
management has other use cases. The rest of the APIs I don't know well
enough to answer.

However even for hit testing and focus management, maybe we would
design the API differently if we weren't trying to use them to built
text editors. I really don't know enough about accessibility to fully
answer that.

/ Jonas