Old thread: the a11y reasons for additional methods in Canvas 2d

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 12:22:47 -0700
To: public-canvas-api@w3.org
 From an a11y vendor, AISquared:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2011JanMar/0000.html
"We do need the screen location of all content with or without focus"

This has been misunderstood as a "retained-mode" request for the Canvas API.

I hope to see some movement over the next few months, in solving this issue.
As I've pointed out, many times, Apple's VoiceOver on Mobile Safari also
suffers
from this defect in the handling of the Canvas sub-tree.

Using transparent CSS / SVG elements atop the canvas is very
inefficient, very
costly for authors to implement, and really quite a hackish nightmare.

It's also the only thing we have, for now. Once we can get past that
work-around, I feel
confident that many Canvas authors will add the additional APIs
necessary to make their
apps more accessible.

-Charles