Re: Reasons of using Canvas for UI design

On Aug 15, 2011, at 19:10 , Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:

>  The browser has all the path transformation information
> > to do the job
> > All true -- if the assumption holds.
>
> I am not sure what is missing. Are you concerned about a coding error? That can always happen.

No, I am pointing out your assumption is that there are objects with well-defined path boundaries.  I am not sure that's always true.
> Being able to support the basic accessibility APIs is essential. Right now we do not have that. The need to indicate where an object is on the drawing surface is an essential requirement.

Again, an assumption of visually discrete objects with well-defined locations and edges.
> What we need to avoid here is the statement that "well you have not fully boiled the ocean so you can't do anything."

But we also need to avoid "you can only solve the use cases when someone uses canvas when they could and probably should have used existing HTML and CSS UI elements".

David Singer