Re: SVG vs canvas performance

On 7/18/2011 1:33 PM, Kurt Cagle wrote:
> I still think that you could get marginally better performance out of
> Canvas, but I don't believe this means that you can't get decent
> performance numbers from SVG as well, especially assuming that you
> have a Javascript optimizer at some point in the mix. More people work
> with Canvas because it's been supported more comprehensively until
> recently, but I suspect that you'll see more SVG moving forward as the
> capabilities improve there (and I've become VERY impressed with SVG on
> Chrome especially).
One of the developers I work with is quite excited about "booting"
resources up from SVG scripts;
he's still using Canvas, but the interchange format is SVG -- so it
works well with authoring tools.

SVG does have quite a bit of support with static-scene authoring tools.

With SVG implementations finally catching up with the spec,
we're certainly going to see SVG used in more situations.

As a canvas developer, I still prefer SVG over PNG and/or JSON objects
as the medium for stashing icons and other artwork. I use SVG if it's
available
and working, I render it up in Canvas with a parser if SVG is not
available/working.

With more SVG support out there, there is more incentive to package
vector artwork
in addition to the traditional method of packaging PNGs/JPG/GIF.

There is still a very -large- gulf between browser-based SVG viewing,
with HTML+SVG+ECMAScript,
and static SVG, as rendered by many SVG viewers. I don't expect to see a
growing trend of
animated SVG in the near future, but we'll certainly see, and Adobe has
certainly made a contribution
to that sphere with their export tools.

-Charles