Re: SVG vs canvas performance

I'd also point out that with SVG a more reasonable comparison would be to
load in an image which contains multiple cells as an image, then just change
the viewport on that image, rather than loading in individual cells - in
essence the same kind of operation as you would do in Canvas. In most cases
changing the viewport just involves changing the x and y attributes via
Javascript. This becomes more advantageous if you have multiple sprites that
use the same image - you'd need to load the same image only once for all the
sprites.

Again, I'd have to see what the metrics look like for something like that,
but I suspect that memory usage would be lower for the SVG implementation,
perhaps at the cost of slightly less efficient animations.

Kurt Cagle
Information Architect
Avalon Consulting