Re: hit testing and retained graphics (resending)

On 7/8/2011 11:18 AM, Doug Schepers wrote:
> 4) I realize that you are trying to help accessibility, but the
> solution you are advocating is an ungainly hack that is unlikely to
> grow to meet the real needs of authors and users that will arise as
> they start to use it in depth.  You keep saying that you are "roughly
> 1 feature away from fixing canvas accessibility"... and you always
> will be, because you are patching the obvious flaws, not the ones that
> will arise like zombie whack-a-moles.
Doug,

I've taken an empirical approach to "completing" the canvas API by
implementing
SVG and HTML/CSS box model in Canvas, and reporting back on the issues
which held me up.

Some of the items I found were not -obvious- flaws until they were
uncovered by that rigid process.

While you are addressing Richard here, I'd like to put forward that both
my team, and his team
have invested a lot of time into Canvas UI and have come across very
-few- issues with the current API.

We've lodged about ~7 issues on the w3c issue tracker, and we've
addressed nearly all of them.

This particular issue is something that can "fix" an issue with
SVG-implemented-in-Canvas,
allowing me to further prototype items which I can bring to the SVG / FX
working groups.

-Charles