Re: You Got Your SVG in my Canvas! Mmm, Delicious!

Hi, Charles-

Charles Pritchard wrote (on 7/7/11 2:06 PM):
>>> get to SVG but not today. Canvas is part of HTML and it needs to be
>>> fixed.
>> SVG is just as much a part of HTML as the canvas context, so I'm
>> confused by the implication that it's okay for us to fix any
>> accessibility problems with using canvas with HTML before we fix any
>> accessibility problems with using SVG with HTML.
>
> Rich is referring to LC and other W3C processes having to do with HTML5.
>
> SVG a11y issues are not blocking issues for HTML5; Canvas issues are
> blocking issues.

That's not correct.  I spoke today to Philippe Le Hégaret (Interaction
Domain Lead) and Mike Smith (HTML WG staff contact and HTML Activity
Lead), and they affirmed that while the Canvas 2D API spec and the HTML5
spec are set to the same timeline currently, the Canvas 2D API spec
could progress faster or slower than the HTML5 spec; neither is blocked
by the other, currently.

By artificially limiting the scope of the discussions to "canvas
accessibility" to the exclusion of SVG, we risk specifying a suboptimal
(or even harmful) solution, with a good chance that it won't have
sufficient implementations to move to Recommendation.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Staff Contact, SVG, WebApps, Web Events, and Audio WGs