Re: hit testing and retained graphics

I proposed such a path object in my post, as well as getCSSMatrix to expose the current CSS matrix. I also mentioned toString (stringify in webidl) and gave an example with isPointInPath. It is written in webidl and matches what you're putting forward. I'm glad we're converging on a consensus.

Look at the part about CanvasPath:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2011AprJun/0047.html

Please advise Ted, on how we can associate an element in the shadow Dom with a bounding box on the screen. This is vital to the operation of several ATs. All Accessibility Apis have a slot with which a bounding box is associated to an element.

I have put forward the suggestion of simply extending aria; with something like aria-d="toString path data".

It does not have the benefits that Richard has put forward, it'd be slow/inefficient in dealing with animated data, but it would meet some bare minimum.

 I documented the benefits of having a path object in my post; glad we're moving forward... Let's keep moving forward on our accessibility commitments as well. Currently, the canvas spec supports keyboard a11y-- it does not support that last bit we need to move on. Shadow Dom nodes need a bounding box and future access to path data to work with various ATs on the market including VoiceOver and ZoomText.

-Charles