Re: Minutes: January 17, 2011 HTML Canvas Accessibility subteam meeting

On 1/17/2011 1:18 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:

> Minutes:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2011/01/17-html-a11y-minutes.html

Regarding Caret tracking:

Here's some work on caret position in contentEditable div:
http://niichavo.wordpress.com/2009/01/06/contentEditable-div-cursor-position/

I don't know if it applies to caret browsing mode. I think it does, in
Firefox, but I don't know.

I understand there's concern about introducing IAccessibleText hooks to
Canvas.
That's not actually what we're looking to do.

We're looking at mapping directly to the aria caret role,
"ROLE_SYSTEM_CARET",
which is really a better way to look at it than IAccessibleText.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd318010%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Longer list:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd373608%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/accessibilityImplementationConstants.html?filter_flex=4.1&filter_flashplayer=10.1&filter_air=2

setCaretSelectionRect(element, ..)
<mark role="caret" style="position: absolute...;"></mark>

Canvas 2D may not the right place for the method. The method has a clean
mapping to the MS Accessibility caret role,
and can be implemented with minimal cost to vendors.

--Charles