Re: You Got Your SVG in my Canvas! Mmm, Delicious! (was: hit testing and retained graphics)

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:12:50 +0100
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, public-canvas-api@w3.org, public-canvas-api-request@w3.org, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, Paul Bakaus <pbakaus@zynga.com>
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> Again, define your problems.  Making your average game, such as the
> ones produced by Zynga, accessible to the blind, for example, can
> *not* be accomplished by exposing an alternate subtree.  It can
> theoretically be done, but only be exposing completely different
> interaction modes, which are most likely fairly tightly coupled with
> the design of the game itself.  Different disabled subgroups require
> different interaction modes.

Can you elaborate?

Do you mean that making the average game cannot be made accessible by
exposing an alternate subtree *alone* or what?

Just exposing a tree doesn't mean you can forget about keyboard
accessibility or providing audio or whatever, but it seems to me than
a subtree goes a long way towards making many aspects of these games
accessible.

Take Zynga's latest game Empires & Allies, which is a sort of
Settlers-style strategy. The buttons could be represented using
<button> elements. The maps could be represented using SVG plus ARIA
drag-and-drop semantics. The messages could use ARIA live regions,
etc, etc.

On the general subject of canvas and game accessibility, see also my
previous discussion at:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0801.html

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis