Re: hit testing and retained graphics

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 10:53:23 -0700
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>, david.bolter@gmail.com, Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Mike@w3.org, public-canvas-api@w3.org, public-html@w3.org, public-html-a11y@w3.org, public-html-a11y-request@w3.org
On 6/28/2011 10:24 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2011, at 7:35 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:41 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger
>> <schwer@us.ibm.com <mailto:schwer@us.ibm.com>> wrote:
>>>

>> What about Adobe Flash in this area? Adobe Flash is used for many of
>> the same use cases that canvas is used for. Is Flash more accessible?
>> How do they do it? Is Flash prohibited because it's not accessible?
>
> I'm not an expert on Adobe Flash accessibility, but my understanding
> is that its drawing model is more like SVG (retained mode) than like
> Canvas (immediate mode). Thus, there are persistent objects that
> represent your drawing.
Flash has an immediate mode drawing model as well. I've implemented
Canvas on top of it
and successfully cross-compiled ECMAScript+Canvas applications into
Flash byte code using
the open source tools that Adobe has released.

Children can be bound to the drawing surface in flash much as they can
be bound
to the shadow dom under Canvas