Von: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com<mailto:chuck@jumis.com>>
Datum: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 21:36:57 -0700
An: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com<mailto:schwer@us.ibm.com>>
Cc: Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com<mailto:Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com<mailto:cyns@microsoft.com>>, "david.bolter@gmail.com<mailto:david.bolter@gmail.com>" <david.bolter@gmail.com<mailto:david.bolter@gmail.com>>, "Mike@w3.org<mailto:Mike@w3.org>" <Mike@w3.org<mailto:Mike@w3.org>>, "public-canvas-api@w3.org<mailto:public-canvas-api@w3.org>" <public-canvas-api@w3.org<mailto:public-canvas-api@w3.org>>, "public-html@w3.org<mailto:public-html@w3.org>" <public-html@w3.org<mailto:public-html@w3.org>>, "public-html-a11y@w3.org<mailto:public-html-a11y@w3.org>" <public-html-a11y@w3.org<mailto:public-html-a11y@w3.org>>, "public-html-request@w3.org<mailto:public-html-request@w3.org>" <public-html-request@w3.org<mailto:public-html-request@w3.org>>
Betreff: Re: hit testing and retained graphics

This is a lengthy e-mail. Summary; three parts:

1. Retained Path objects are ubiquitous in basic 2d drawing APIs;
they are efficient, they are managed by the developer, and
they are necessary for accessibility.

2. Basic additions to the canvas spec can introduce path objects
which can be bound to DOM elements.

3. An example of three buttons in a canvas element is shown,
demonstrating the API.

4. Some usage notes.

Part 1. Path objects are common in drawing APIs.

I've worked a little with Richard's proposal, and done a quick review on the major drawing APIs out there that
work on the same level of abstraction as Canvas.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/display/GraphicsPath.html
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.drawing.drawing2d.pathdata_members(v=vs.85).aspx
http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/awt/geom/PathIterator.html
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CocoaDrawingGuide/Paths/Paths.html
"If you draw the same content repeatedly ... [it] is usually more efficient to retain an existing NSBezierPath object than to recreate it during each drawing cycle."

That last excerpt applies to a few rendering APIs, not just Apple's Cocoa.
There's precedent in each of these APIs for a Path data object.
WebGL uses path data by typed arrays. It does not include curves.
SVG has normalized path types:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff971968(v=vs.85).aspx

I do not think we need "retained graphics" in canvas -- but it'd be a huge boost to developers,
and to accessibility, if we can have a means for sharing path data between layers.
The HTML map tag is insufficient... We're looking for a replacement.

Richard has put forward a few proposals, as have I... If we can get
some traction with the group, I'm sure we can add a great feature
to Canvas, making life easier on developers and AT vendors alike.

Developers have told me that they want mouse events delegated
to the shadow dom, based on paths they've bound. Richard and I
are most concerned with getting path data to ATs; though Richard
has a warmth in his heart for making things easier on developers.

Many vendors are concerned about mixing retained-mode concepts
with Canvas's immediate mode API.
I hope that by focusing only on static path data, we can move past
that concern. I also hope that by introducing new methods, we can
see improved efficiency and accessibility in Canvas applications.

Please take the following in good faith, and send the list feedback,
so we can take that feedback, apply it, and push the proposal into
the view of a wider audience.

Part 2. Creating a CanvasPath object and stringify methods in the spec.

I've done a basic supplemental. setElementFromPath binds the current
path onto an element, with an optional zIndex. I've also done a stringify,
supplemental, which would make life a lot easier on developers when it
comes to getting a string for the current path or transformation matrix.

// CanvasPath extension
[Supplemental]
interface CanvasRenderingContext2D {
    void beginFromPath(in CanvasPath path) ;
    void setElementPath(in Element element, in optional DOMString zIndex) ;
    CanvasPath getCurrentPath();
}

interface CanvasPath {
    // opaque object
}

// Stringify extensions, defined by SVG normalized paths and CSSMatrix.
[Supplemental]
interface CanvasRenderingContext2D {
    void beginFromPath(in normalizedPathSegList path) ;
    void beginFromPath(in DOMString path) ;
    CSSMatrix getCurrentMatrix();
    void setCurrentMatrix(in CSSMatrix matrix);
    void setCurrentMatrix(in DOMString matrix);
}
[Supplemental]
interface CanvasPath {
    stringifier; // returns normalized path
}

Part 3. Example of an accessible Canvas, keyboard and pointer device.
/*
 Draw three buttons, 100x100 pixels each, spaced 40px apart
    If a button is in focus, set its zIndex higher than the other buttons,
    in case of overlap if spacing is changed.
*/

var canvas = document.getElementById(‘canvasTest’); canvas.width += 0; // reset state.
var ctx = canvas.getContext(’2d’);
var buttons = { 'a': 'Button A', 'b': 'Button B','c': 'Button C' }
var width = 100; var height=30; var padding = 40;
ctx.font = '20px sans-serif';
ctx.beginPath();
ctx.rect(0,0,width,height);
var path = ctx.getCurrentPath();
for(var i in buttons) {
    var button = document.getElementById('button_'+i);
    if(!button) {
        button = document.createElement('input');
        button.setAttribute('id', 'button_'+i);
        button.setAttribute('name', i);
        button.setAttribute('value', buttons[i]);
        button.setAttribute('type','submit');
        if(0) button.onclick = function() { alert("It works!"); };
        if(0) button.onfocus = function() {
            if(button.getAttribute('data-myeasypathdata')) {
                button.parentNode.getContext('2d').beginFromPath( button.getAttribute('data-myeasypathdata') );
                button.parentNode.getContext('2d').drawFocusRing(button);
            }
        };
        canvas.appendChild(button);
    }
    var isFocused = document.activeElement == button;
    var zIndex = isFocused ? "1" : "0";
    ctx.beginFromPath(path);
    ctx.setElementPath(button, zIndex);
    if(isFocused) ctx.drawFocusRing(button);
    if(0) button.setAttribute('data-myeasypathdata', ctx.getCurrentPath());
    ctx.fillStyle = 'black';
    ctx.fill();
    ctx.fillStyle = 'white';
    var textBaseline = ....;
    ctx.fillText(buttons[i], ( width - ctx.measureText(buttons[i]).width ) / 2, textBaseline);
    ctx.translate(width + padding, 0);
}

Part 4. Usage notes.

Stringify options allow developers more room for loose coupling of events;
they also allow better interop between SVG and Canvas... They help with debugging;
they can reduce the overhead of complex objects, by reducing the number of method
calls, considerably.

z-index is necessary for coordinate/pointer-based interfaces; things overlap.

Transformations will be used heavily in animations. Transformations are live, in canvas.
Notice that only one translate method is called, incrementally moving the origin along the x axis.

-----

There are several ATs which require coordinates / paths ahead of time.
Some ATs get by this issue by focusing on an element before requesting the bounding box.

ViewPlus produces the "IVEO Hands-on-Learning System":
http://www.viewplus.com/

Apple produces Mobile Safari, with "VoiceOver":
http://www.apple.com/accessibility/iphone/vision.html

Both of these products weighed heavily in the design of the proposal.

Input is appreciated.

-Charles